Project 1 - Surface Design/2D Mosaic

 The first thing that came to mind for patterns was glazed terracotta in minecraft.


They are really bright, colourful, patterned blocks that can be arranged in different combinations to make different patterns.


Each block of a singular colour can be placed beside each other in different directions in order to make different patterns, and some people have even put different colours together creatively in order to make more complex patterns.


Then I starting looking around my house for patterns and was surprised by how many I found. I noticed I am drawn to more illustrative patterns rather than the more abstract ones.

One I found really interesting is the pattern on my couch. From far away is is hard to pick out the individual illustrations, making the couch just look nicely textured, but when you look closer you can see that it has a lot of really cool details. I also really like how well the illustrations fit together into one overall pattern.


I also really like the detailed flower pattern on this Hawaiian-esque shirt. I love how each flower could be their own beautiful illustration, yet they work well together too.




A non-illustrated pattern from my home is this design I drew to calm my anxiety. I find drawing patterns in this style really soothing, and filling a page with these simple doodles is a great way to keep my mind quiet and focused.


I also wanted to include some of the amazing patterns in nature, such as snowflakes.


I really love how intricate and complex the patters are while retaining their delicate, glass like appearance. They have such a unique beauty and I am really curious if engraving in clear acrylic would end up with something amazing, or if it would just be disappointing compared to the real thing.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 2 - Object Options

Project 2 - Building Object