Project 2 - Building Object

The object I am recreating digitally for this project is this music box.



I started by disassembling it into all its separate components.


Most of the modelling was pretty simple, starting by drawing in 2D using measurements from the object. Then I was able to extrude the 2D drawings into 3D shapes. I did a mixture of building the shape of the object and building the negative shapes to subtract from the object.


For the "drum" of the music box, I tried giving it a different song. I used a website that works like a digital music box and found a song I liked.  I used a screenshot of the song and the "comb" I had modelled as references for where to put the bumps on the drum that hit the "keys" of the music box.


In order to get the 2D representation of the song onto the cyclical "drum" I had to first use the unwrap command  to get a flat plane the exact size of the outside of the cylinder. I then took the pattern of bumps that I modelled and used the flow along surface command in order to put them onto the "drum".


I would like to see if I can 3D print the "drum" of this model and put it in the music box in order to change the song.

Overall, I had a lot of fun doing this project and didn't come across too many issues, it just took a lot of time to make all the pieces. Trying to be accurate was surprisingly frustrating. I expected digital calibers to just measure everything perfectly and be a breeze but this was not necessarily the case. I was working at fractions of millimeters which was really finicky. Even just using more force on the calibers when measuring would give a different dimension. And the object being so small meant that even differences of fractions of millimeters were noticeable when trying to put all the parts together. Also I had no way of measuring the curves exactly so I often had to just eyeball them to the best of my abilities. 

Even when I was putting the physical object back together after disassembling it, it had to make micro adjustments of where the "comb" part was sitting in order for it to work again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 2 - Object Options